Re-Use Shop Opening!

A new Re-Use Shop run by Dove House in partnership with Hull City Council, East Riding of Yorkshire Council, and FCC Environment opened its doors on Friday 12 January.  

The new shop aims to reduce waste by selling good quality second-hand items, which have been donated for reuse from household waste and recycling centres across Hull and East Riding, or directly to Dove House.  

This is the first general reuse shop to be opened within the Hull City Council boundary, with the other shop based at Humberfield Household Waste and Recycling Centre in the East Riding.  


Councillor Julia Conner, Portfolio Holder for Environment, said: “The Re-Use Shops are fundamental to sustainable waste management, provide affordable options for residents, and raise vital funds for Dove House. So, I am delighted that a new store has opened in Hull.”   

Doug Sharp, Head of Street Cleansing and Waste Management at Hull City Council, added: “With many families across Hull and East Riding struggling under the current financial climate, this new Re-Use Shop is a great opportunity for those residents to purchase good quality items at a reasonable price.   

“The store is also an invaluable part of the Council’s sustainable waste management strategy and contributes towards the Council’s commitment to carbon reduction.”     

The new shop is the result of a continued partnership between Dove House, Hull City Council, East Riding Council, and FCC Environment.

As well as providing the general Re-Use stores, the partnership also aided the relocation and progression of the Re-Use electrical shop on Hessle Road, Hull – which has been a roaring success so far." 


Gemma Green, Reuse Development Manager, at FCC Environment, said: “Only 10% of the funds needed to run Dove House come from the Government, the other 90% must be raised through the generosity of local people and organisations.   

“Profits from the new shop will help to support the fantastic work the hospice does caring for people living with progressive life limiting illnesses in our community and providing support for their family and friends too.”  

The scheme diverts good quality items for reuse from the network of 13 household waste and recycling centres across Hull and East Riding, making the Re-Use Shop the perfect place for residents to find hidden treasures and preloved bargains.  

Items sold will include everything from sports equipment to furniture and collectables to TVs, with all funds generated used to support Dove House Hospice.  

Sarah Cash, Deputy Chief Executive and Director of Business and Income Development at Dove House Hospice, said: “We are really excited to bring Re-Use to residents who may find it difficult to get to the Humberfield Re-Use Shop.   

“The addition of the new shop will not only increase the number of good quality items diverted from disposal, but it will also provide vital funds for the hospice.”  

The new Re-Use Shop is located at 430 Beverley Road, Hull HU5 1LP.  

The shop will be open Monday to Saturday from 9am to 5pm and on Sundays from 10am to 4pm.